Uploaded image for project: 'Jenkins'
  1. Jenkins
  2. JENKINS-54748

Memory leak in test-results-analyzer causes Jenkins to crash

    Details

    • Type: Bug
    • Status: Open (View Workflow)
    • Priority: Major
    • Resolution: Unresolved
    • Labels:
    • Environment:
    • Similar Issues:

      Description

      Recently amount of jobs running on our server significantly increased and we started experiencing lack of memory issues. After running for some time, Jenkins consumes all the memory available to the VM and it locks up as a result.

      Initially the issue was described in JENKINS-54603. It was pointed out there that test-results-analyzer-plugin is most likely the source of the issue.

        Attachments

          Activity

          Hide
          dannysmit Danny Smit added a comment -

          We have recently installed the Test Results Analyzer and seem to have run into this issue. Especially if the 'auto refresh' is enabled, jenkins seem to crash within a day with excessive memory usage, but also excessive CPU usage. 

          Is there any information I can provide to help track down and resolve this issue?

          Show
          dannysmit Danny Smit added a comment - We have recently installed the Test Results Analyzer and seem to have run into this issue. Especially if the 'auto refresh' is enabled, jenkins seem to crash within a day with excessive memory usage, but also excessive CPU usage.  Is there any information I can provide to help track down and resolve this issue?
          Hide
          steevo51 Eoin Mc Cormack added a comment -

          Is there any update on this? Our Jenkins machine is blowing up after viewing test results on 5 / 6 builds using the test results analyzer, it never resolves itself and we have to restart the Jenkins machine using linux to get thing back online which is not ideal.

          Show
          steevo51 Eoin Mc Cormack added a comment - Is there any update on this? Our Jenkins machine is blowing up after viewing test results on 5 / 6 builds using the test results analyzer, it never resolves itself and we have to restart the Jenkins machine using linux to get thing back online which is not ideal.
          Hide
          cheeseinvert Adam Grant added a comment -

          This is an urgent issue for my Jenkins service. Any updates? Can we make a bounty?

           

          Show
          cheeseinvert Adam Grant added a comment - This is an urgent issue for my Jenkins service. Any updates? Can we make a bounty?  
          Hide
          gurce Gurce Isikyildiz added a comment - - edited

          fwiw, our workplace was having similar out-of-memory issues with our Jenkins server recently.

          I tracked it down to this "test-results-analyzer" plugin also, as it was chewing up 2.9GB with just string-data.

          Initially, I wrongly assumed that this plugin was responsible for the "Test Result" page of the interface, hence assumed these were the web-ui pages affected:

           

           

           

          However, I finally realised that this plugin is responsible for entirely different output. It provides a link called "Test Results Analyzer" which collates a large table of all your test results across all your builds. More info at this link.

           

          So I now understood why it was chewing up so much string data, some of our projects have build histories consisting of up to 2000 builds, with hundreds of tests in them. So this would have resulted in an absolutely enormous table!

          So with that understanding under my belt, I felt safe to delete this plugin, as our team has no need for it.

          Just wanted to share this experience, in-case others are experiencing this same confusion between these two things.

          Show
          gurce Gurce Isikyildiz added a comment - - edited fwiw, our workplace was having similar out-of-memory issues with our Jenkins server recently. I tracked it down to this "test-results-analyzer" plugin also, as it was chewing up 2.9GB with just string-data. Initially, I wrongly assumed that this plugin was responsible for the " Test Result " page of the interface, hence assumed these were the web-ui pages affected:       However, I finally realised that this plugin is responsible for entirely different output. It provides a link called " Test Results Analyzer " which collates a large table of all your test results across all your builds. More info at this link .   So I now understood why it was chewing up so much string data, some of our projects have build histories consisting of up to 2000 builds, with hundreds of tests in them. So this would have resulted in an absolutely enormous table! So with that understanding under my belt, I felt safe to delete this plugin, as our team has no need for it. Just wanted to share this experience, in-case others are experiencing this same confusion between these two things.

            People

            • Assignee:
              menonvarun Varun Menon
              Reporter:
              machnic Michal Machnicki
            • Votes:
              4 Vote for this issue
              Watchers:
              9 Start watching this issue

              Dates

              • Created:
                Updated: