Details

    • Type: Bug
    • Status: Reopened (View Workflow)
    • Priority: Major
    • Resolution: Unresolved
    • Component/s: core
    • Environment:
      jenkins ver 2.176.3
      jenkins ver 2.190.1
      jenkins ver 2.190.3
      jenkins ver 2.204.1
      jenkins ver 2.204.2
    • Similar Issues:

      Description

      I have a bunch of freestyle jobs, that compile and build an installer for my software on two compilers and in debug/release. Each of them takes aroung half an hour.

      Then I tried to switch the build to a pipeline build, integrated build of debug and release to one job and additionally integrated several other stuff (cppcheck,...). This build ended up in taking 3-4 hours for quite a while (which I did not expect and regard it as slow also).

      Since some weeks now my pipeline job suddenly started taking 8 hours while the freestyle jobs duration staid the same.

      Something about my environment: it's a jenkins-installation as service on a windows server 2016 machine. I am not aware of any changes on the machine installation or job configuration since the job got slower. It's not a single step in the pipeline that eats all the time. It's the overall performance and the time is distributed over all steps. E.g. the compile and build installer step (which is the entire job done by the freestyle job) alone takes 3 hours.

      Unfortunately I don't have the build history long enough to be able to identify plugin-versions from before and after the buildtime-increase.

      Please contact me in case I can help with any additional information.

        Attachments

          Activity

          Hide
          chrisfetz Christoph Fetzer added a comment - - edited

          Arg - this issue doesn't like being chased.

          Every time I do a single action like update, reboot or restart behaviour stays the same.

          Whenever I do simultaneous actions, something changes.

          This time: update of Script security 166->1.67 and restart of jenkins (without reboot) due to hanging job fragments made the build fast again.

          Noticeable: I restarted jenkins by starting and stopping the jenkins service this time.

           

          BTW: really no support here? Where else can I get assistance?

          Show
          chrisfetz Christoph Fetzer added a comment - - edited Arg - this issue doesn't like being chased. Every time I do a single action like update, reboot or restart behaviour stays the same. Whenever I do simultaneous actions, something changes. This time: update of Script security 166->1.67 and restart of jenkins (without reboot) due to hanging job fragments made the build fast again. Noticeable: I restarted jenkins by starting and stopping the jenkins service this time.   BTW: really no support here? Where else can I get assistance?
          Hide
          chrisfetz Christoph Fetzer added a comment - - edited

          After the latest updates I got the problem again. Besides, all my automatic build weren't restartet....

           

          The list of updates:

          Jira 3.0.10  -> 3.0.11
          Oracle Java SE Development Kit Installer 1.3->1.4
          Script Security 1.67->1.68
          Warnings Next Generation 7.2.0->7.2.1

          Jenkins v2.190.3

           

          It runs quickly again after a service restart.

          So I guess, it's an issue of the update procedure or the implementation as a windows service?

          Which components do these belong to for a correct assignment of the job?

          Show
          chrisfetz Christoph Fetzer added a comment - - edited After the latest updates I got the problem again. Besides, all my automatic build weren't restartet....   The list of updates: Jira 3.0.10  -> 3.0.11 Oracle Java SE Development Kit Installer 1.3->1.4 Script Security 1.67->1.68 Warnings Next Generation 7.2.0->7.2.1 Jenkins v2.190.3   It runs quickly again after a service restart. So I guess, it's an issue of the update procedure or the implementation as a windows service? Which components do these belong to for a correct assignment of the job?
          Hide
          chrisfetz Christoph Fetzer added a comment -

          The issue is still present.

          Show
          chrisfetz Christoph Fetzer added a comment - The issue is still present.
          Hide
          chrisfetz Christoph Fetzer added a comment -

          It still is present and restart of the service very reliably and repeatedly solves the issue. Could you please check the update procedure!

          Show
          chrisfetz Christoph Fetzer added a comment - It still is present and restart of the service very reliably and repeatedly solves the issue. Could you please check the update procedure!
          Hide
          chrisfetz Christoph Fetzer added a comment -

          I noticed the msBuild warnings parser also does the job for me and thus removed one of the "grep"-layers. Unforunately the problem still persists.

          Show
          chrisfetz Christoph Fetzer added a comment - I noticed the msBuild warnings parser also does the job for me and thus removed one of the "grep"-layers. Unforunately the problem still persists.

            People

            • Assignee:
              Unassigned
              Reporter:
              chrisfetz Christoph Fetzer
            • Votes:
              0 Vote for this issue
              Watchers:
              1 Start watching this issue

              Dates

              • Created:
                Updated: