I find it utterly bewildering, and it slows me down a lot with Jenkins.
The "Safe HTML" formatter is probably the worst culprit, as noted above. It is:
- "Safe HTML" - name in Global Security configuration,
- "OWASP Markup Formatter Plugin" - name in "Plugin Manager" UI
- antisamy-markup-formatter - name in "Plugins" list in "/jenkins/systemInfo", i.e. Maven artifact name
... and none of these are remotely connected. In something that's security-sensitive that's pretty significant.
There's no indication at all in the global security UI that the formatter is from a plugin at all (that's kinda bad from a security PoV), let alone which one. The plugin's display name doesn't mention "HTML" or "Safe". The plugin's internal name is unrelated again. Clicking the plugin's name in the Plugin Manager takes you to a a wiki page that (until I edited it) didn't mention "Safe HTML" at all, and its "plugin site" link takes you to https://plugins.jenkins.io/antisamy-markup-formatter but has the title "OWASP Markup Formatter 1.5". If you click the plugin's version in plugin manager you get taken to a confusingly named "thirdPartyLicenses" URL that is really a dependency map. The first "dependency" is actually the plugin itself, but that's not clearly indicated at all.
What should happen is:
- The "Plugin Manager" UI should have a less prominent suffix on the plugin name with the maven artifact name or full co-ordinates, labeled something like "plugin id"
- The "systemInfo" view should list plugin display-names too
- The "systemInfo" view should probably also list the contained package(s) or offer a class browser, since they often differ again
... and in the case of formatters, the formatter selector should show the plugin info there.
Another example is pretty much any plugin in the Pipeline / Workflow suite. For example, we have:
- Pipeline: Groovy (jenkins "Plugin Manager" UI)
- workflow-cps (name in "Plugins" list in "/jenkins/systemInfo", i.e. Maven artifact name)
- jenkinsci/workflow-cps-plugin (git repo name, note -plugin suffix absent from artifact name)
- Pipeline Groovy Plugin (github README)
- org.jenkins-ci.plugins.workflow:workflow-cps:2.60 (full Maven co-ordinates)
- org.jenkinsci.plugins.workflow.cps.* (package name)
Finding things is very hard.